Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hatred for the Things of God

Mark 15:10-13 For he perceived that it was out of envy that the chief priests had delivered him up. 11 But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have him release for them Barabbas instead. 12 And Pilate again said to them, "Then what shall I do with the man you call the King of the Jews?" 13 And they cried out again, "Crucify him."

It is difficult for me to imagine the anger, bitterness and hatred that men can have toward Jesus Christ. Yet, it is real and resulted in the crucifixion of our sinless Lord. These intense emotions did not subside at the cross, but still exist and are growing even as we live. Over the last few months I have experienced such emotions on two occasions targeted toward me, a preacher of the Gospel, and His church. To be honest, at first I was taken back thinking, “What have I done?” Then recently as I was receiving a vulgar, unsolicited, uncalled for tirade against me I realized, “This is not about me. It is about the One whom I represent: Jesus Christ.” You must understand that I do not live in a liberal stronghold, but in a rural community nestled deep in the Bible belt. Even, here, there is a growing hatred for the things of Christ and those who stand for Him. Why? Christ and His teaching stand in opposition to the godless lives men chose to live. Even as the religious leaders of Jesus’ resented Him, not that He had done anything wrong (none could make that claim), but what He represented: the true righteousness of God. Jesus reminded us, His servants, to expect more of the same as He warned, Remember the word that I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you… John 15:20. Does this hurt? You bet it does, but we must not take it personally. It is simply a result of being representatives of Christ in a lost and dying world. We are living in times where these attacks against Jesus’ ambassadors will become more often and intense. I encourage my young brothers and sisters in Christ to be encouraged and stand strong. Our Lord is still on the throne and He is coming again!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sitting on the throne. Calm, not pacing about nervously, but sitting. Working all things according to the counsel of His will.

    ReplyDelete