Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jacob's Vow

Gen 28:20-22 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, 21 so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God, 22 and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you."

Jacob had an experience with God through a dream which prompted him to make a vow unto the Lord. The question which must be asked is “What is the motive of the vow?” Was this a statement of true commitment to God or was it a conditional bargain driven by selfishness? Obviously, the language leaves room for interpretation as commentators debate the true intent. This leads to another thought. Language within itself can always leave room for uncertainty. Words that are written or spoken with the clearest of communication can never prove true motive. Was it not our Lord who said, “Because this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me,…” Isa 29:13. Therefore, any vow or statement must be proven by the actions that follow. Proceeding the vow, Jacob was a man who lived up to his name as a supplanter/deceiver to acquire the desires of his heart. At the very time of the vow he was on the run escaping his brother’s vengeance for stealing his blessing. Jacob was the same man after the vow, a man always scheming to get an edge rather than placing dependence upon the God of his vow. It was not until he was on the run again that he wrestled with God and cried out in desperation that his motives appear pure. Only then did he receive a new name, Israel. No longer was he bargaining with God but instead, grabbing hold and not letting go. This is a vow of the heart. This is a vow which our Lord smiles upon.

2 comments:

  1. Its interesting to see the difference in how we understand the characters in the Old Testament when we read about them as opposed to being told about them. Jacob was the father of the nation of Israel, but his past, his blessings seem to be derived from rather unsavory methods. Similarly, Abraham and Isaac's encounters with Abimelech over their wives, and their deceit regarding her identity both put me in a place of confusion. Like you said, language is not always clear, and in this case, I am at a loss to understand motivation, intention, etc. I guess at the end of the matter, whether or not Abraham was just in his dealings with Abimelech and the Egyptian king or whether or not Jacob was pure in his motives, I again can clearly see the effects of sin, the grace of God and am humbled at his love for me, who is of the same stock as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good question, and Kanon, I like what you are thinking about figuring out motives. As I read through the post/comment I thought about my own life, and about trying to figure out my own motives. I think if my life were written out in a biblical book the author would have a tough time writing out the kind of person I am. I often find my sin disgusting, and one might even be justified in asking whether my motives were pure or self-serving.

    ReplyDelete